Athirapally Waterfalls: On the Voyage to Relaxation
Fun Fact: Did you know that Athirapally Falls in Kerala were known as Niagra Falls of India.
Also that the Former Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh called the place “Silent Valley”.
And a number of Mani Ratnam’s movie scenes were shot at the place including Raavan and Dil Se.
All these fun facts aside, Athirapally is located in Thrissur District of Kerala and is the largest waterfall in Kerala, which stands tall at 80 feet.
How to reach Athirapally falls?
On the Voyage to Relaxation: Athirapally Waterfalls.-factmedia
By Air: The best way to reach Athirapally by air is through Cochin Airport (55 Kms.)
· Chalakudy Railway Station (30 Kms)
· Thrissur Railway Station (55 Kms)
· ErnakulamJn (South) Railway Station (70 Kms)
Any Taxi, Auto or Cab can be hence booked from the station or Airport.
· From Chalakudy, buses to Athirapally are regular in nature.
Trivia facts of the place:
· The waterfall is 80feet high
· It anchors a rich Malabar wildlife comprising of animals such as Sambar, leopard, bison, lion-tailed macaque, elephants etc.
· The waterfalls unleash their spell when bustling with waters. Thus it is apt for a monsoon visit when the forest is lush green and the water gushes with full force. The dry spells of April- June aren’t that gratifying.
- .The voyage from Chalakudyto the Athirappilly Falls bypasses a landscape of small and beautiful villages and greenery laden trees.
- It is a pool of bizarre fresh water fishes. Over 85 species of fishes are found here.
The Solaiyar Dam is the second largest rock dam (About 20 Km long) in Asia and is a must visit spot near Athirapally Waterfall.
Permissions can be obtained at the office near the dam entrance.
Vazhachal Waterfalls lying at a distance of 7 Kms from Athirapally& 75 Kms from Kochi is a mesmerizingly beautiful waterfall. It is situated very close to the Athirapally – Valparai road. It is one of the best places to visit near Athirapally Falls.
Zoologists deemed this location as greatly significant and bird watchers can encounter many rare and vibrant species in these parts.
- A mesh of waterfalls, dam and sanctuary lies in the environs of the place including, Vazhachal falls,Sholayar dam, Charpa falls. Malayattur Wildlife Sanctuaryis yet another magnet spot.
- ChalakudyRiver and Thumbormuzhi dam are appealing tourist ends.
- Within 12 km of Athirapally lie PanielyPoru and Abhayaranyam Zoo which are another pristine spots for children.
- Kodanand Elephant Training CentreandPeringalkuthu Damare challenging destinations lying within 10 km radius.
Things to Do
- Trekkingor river-rafting.
- The sounds of ramming and bustling water against the rocks are not to be missed.
- Go for resting picnic timearound the dam area.
- Swimming and singing the Malayali and Jungle book songs that were based here. (chuckle)
- Bird watching spree and capturing the picturesque.
- Marvel at the beauty of the Sholayar hills and descend down the waterfalls to its bottom.
We wish you a very soothing and rejuvenating stay in Athirapally. Be sure to check for the place’s native proceedings in order to have a peaceful stay